Monday, January 4, 2021

95 Books I Read in 2020 - Part 1

 

For any book-lover, it would be futile to be without reading a book for a week. A physical copy or a digital one, they need it. Just as air is essential for human beings, a book is essential for book lovers.

Back in 2019, I had managed to read only 44 books, short of my target of 50 books. Hence, as the year 2020 stumbled in, I made a resolution to read as many books as I could – Atleast more than 50.

Then it happened!

The dreaded Covid19, my marriage, lockdown, etc.  As I sat at home right after the lockdown was announced 10 days after my marriage,  I wondered what would I do as there were restrictions to set foot outside your neighbourhood except for essential goods.

Of course, I got to spend some time with my better-half and we began to know each other well. But as she began to adjust to her new surroundings and helped around at home in the kitchen,  I pranced upon doing some much needed chores- Watching movies, reading books, sleeping... Majja ni life as they say! Of course, the work from home tradition also began as commute to office and the regular office life came to a standstill.

So, gradually, I read some 95 interesting books until December. My kindle app was the ultimate resource for me.  Downloading a particular book from the Amazon website!

 Of all of them, I am sharing 10 books that are very interesting reads that I would like to recommend  anyone who is ever in search of a good companion.

            1. Mudras for Anxiety

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23908338-mudras-for-anxiety

You have heard Indian yoga gurus recommending some hand postures for an ailment or make life better, haven’t you? This book also does, but it is for those who have an anxiety problem or who would like some quick help when things don’t go their way.

Some very excellent and simple hand mudras or postures to try on if you have an anxiety problem. Even if you don’t, nothing wrong to learn something new! (Price - Free if you read digitally)

            2.   Men A From Mars, Women are From Venus

Link - Here 

I had read this book in my childhood, but did not pay attention to the wisdom until now! As I was getting married, it was crucial for me to understand the thinking process of what the women think and feel! 

It’s very important to understand  the what, why and how of communication with your spouse and this book provides a lot of wisdom, insights and ideas right from the author – John Gray’s experience from his personal life and his clients. I am placing a lot of that wisdom in my practical life with my life partner. Of course, I need to work hard and read the book repeatedly if the need be.                          (Price - Only Rs. 89 for digital read) 

           3.  The Secret Diary of Kasturba

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32328803-the-secret-diary-of-kasturba

We all know what Mohandas Gandhi a.k.a Mahatma Gandhi did and who he was! We are also aware of the name of his life partner- Kasturba Gandhi. But how much do we know about her or her life? Hardly anything, right?

The author – Neelima Dalmia Adhar has brilliantly penned her unofficial biography written from the perspective of the great lady herself –Baa or Kasturba.  Her feelings, desires, her struggles with her husband’s ego, behavior and the sacrifices that she has had to endure to raise her kids, the children's relations with the father of the nation and baa's desire to be with Gandhiji in his quest of India’s independence, all explained clearly right from her childhood to her old age in form of a diary as if she herself wrote it.

A must read for all! (Price - Free for digital readers) 

          4. Autobiography of a Sunyogi

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43683041-autobiography-of-sunyogi

Yogi Umashankar! The man who lives by the sun alone and rarely eats. How, we may ask? Well he is a yogi and he teaches the art of doing sun yoga and how one can reduce the dependence on food and live by the power of the sun. Jaadu from  Koi Mil Gaya? Yes, a humanized one.

His autobiography clearly explains how he was introduced to sun yoga and his spiritual wanderings and the benefits of doing sun yoga.  Practical approach indeed!

       5. Nehru’s 97 Blunders

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31559890-nehru-s-97-major-blunders

 I don’t want to rake up a political controversy here, but this book was one of my first choice when I glanced upon it amongst others.  Of course, Jawaharlal Nehru – India’s first prime minister was a learned man and a statesman as many would describe him. He fought for India’s independence alongside Gandhiji and Sardar Patel.

 But there have been many claims and arguments on the number of things he went wrong with when it came to governing India. Right from internal factors such as defense, internal politics to external factors such as relations with neighboring countries, his ignorance or the will to look the other way when it mattered the most, the book claims his major blunders!  A worthy read if you are a political reader and would like to dive into the power lobby of India.

My take? I agree to most of the claims mentioned in the book. (Price - Free Book to Read Digitally) 

 I think this post might be too long, so I divided it into 2 parts. Another part of the blog coming soon with 5 worth readable books.

By the way, if you are a book lover and would like to have some recommendations about the books, goodreads.com is a good resource. You can find me on the website.

Soon, 

Kuldip


No comments: